Trajan's column

2006bk4530 jpg l

View the V&A API .json response

artist
Unknown
attributions_note
bibliography
Trusted, Majorie. ed. The Making of Sculpture: the Materials and Techniques of European Sculpture. London: V&A Publications, 2007, pp. 162-163, pl. 312
collection_code
SCP
credit
date_end
0113-12-31
date_start
0113-01-01
date_text
113 (made) ca. 1864 (cast)
descriptive_line
Column, plaster cast, reproduction of Trajan's Column, cast by Monsieur Oudry, Paris, ca. 1864, after the original erected AD 113 in Rome
dimensions
Height: 523.5 cm, Diameter: 422.5 cm base
edition_number
event_text
exhibition_history
gallery
Sculpture, room 46A. Objects in 'case BWITH' are available via appointment with the Sculpture department
historical_context_note
historical_significance
history_note
Purchased from M. Oudry in 1864 for £301 15s 2d
id
78826
label
last_checked
2014-08-30T00:42:26.000Z
last_processed
2014-08-30T00:42:26.000Z
latitude
41.903111
location
Sculpture, room 46A. Objects in 'case BWITH' are available via appointment with the Sculpture department, case FS, shelf C
longitude
12.49576
marks
materials
Plaster
materials_techniques
Plaster cast
museum_number
REPRO.1864-128
museum_number_token
repro1864128
object_number
O102467
object_type
Column
on_display
1
original_currency
original_price
physical_description
place
Rome
primary_image_id
2006BK4530
production_note
production_type
public_access_description
This is a plaster cast of the original marble column, 'Trajan's Column', made in the 19th century, around 1864. The massive cast is a tremendous feat of both engineering and casting. Displayed in the Architectural Courts from the time of their opening in 1873, it provided the opportunity for students (and others not able to travel to Rome) to see this iconic monument of the classical world. The cast of the column is made up of sections of plaster reliefs that are attached to an inner chimney built of brick. Each section was individually numbered so that the column could easily be assembled like a giant jigsaw puzzle. Trajan's column was erected to commemorate the successful campaigns of the Emperor against the Dacians of the Danube frontier in AD 101-2 and 105-6. It stood at the focal point of the Emperor's Forum in Rome and takes the form of a hollow shaft built of Parian marble, 3.83 meters in diameter a the base and rising to a height of 38 meters including the square plinth upon which it stands and the capital that surmounts it. The continuous frieze of low relief depicting the history of Trajan's campaigns winds up and round the column for a total length of over 200 meters, and shows 2500 figures. In antiquity, placed as it was between the two libraries of the Forum, the reliefs could be studied at close quarters up to a certain height, and the whole sculpted surface was picked out in colour and enriched with metal accessories. Originally the column was topped by a colossal bronze statue of Trajan; this was replaced at the end of the 16th century by the present bronze of Saint Peter, made by Bastiano Torrigiano.
related_museum_numbers
rights
3
shape
site_code
VA
slug
trajans-column-column-unknown
sys_updated
2014-03-21T00:00:00.000Z
techniques
title
Trajan's column
updated
vanda_exhibition_history
year_end
113
year_start
113