Charles Truman, English Glassware to 1900 (1984) pl.25. Howard Coutts, 'London Cut Glass. The Work of John Blades and Messrs Jones', Antique Collecting, June 1987. Cherry & Richard Gray, 'The Prince's Glasses. Some WQarrington Cut Glass 1806-1811', Journal of the Glass Ass. Vol.2, 1987.
Wine glass with the arms of the Prince of Wales, England (Warrington), made by Perrin, Geddes & Co, 1806-1808
Height: 12.3 cm
British Galleries, room 120
Made by Perrin, Geddes & Co., Warrington, Lancashire
From a service made for the Prince of Wales in 1806-8.
This glass is part of the same set as the decanter. The set also included finger bowls for washing sticky fingers during meals. [27/03/2003]
Drinking glasses with cut stems date back to the 1760s. Until the making of the Prince of Wales service, however, no glass cutter had dared to treat the foot, stem and bowl as separate elements. In this service, each has its own geometric or curving design. The impact made by this design is shown by the fact that it was reproduced in the mid-19th century and again reissued about 1900.
In 1806 the Prince of Wales made a grand visit to Liverpool. This visit effectively endorsed that wealthy city's association with the contentious slave trade. In gratitude to the Prince, the Council ordered a huge suite of table glass for him from the local manufacturer Perrin, Geddes & Co. of Warrington. When it arrived, the Prince thanked them for 'the most beautiful and ornamental specimens he ever saw of this valuable manufacture'.
It seems probable that for such an extremely expensive service, which took over a year to make, other craftsmen may have been involved. The local glass-cutter John Unsworth, who styled himself 'Manufacturer to His Majesty and to His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales', may have been one.
Ownership & Use
Ceramics are the most portable of household possessions. Exactly where the Prince first used this service is not known. The remains - thirteen coolers, forty four decanters of two sizes, and seventy one glasses of three sizes - are now at Windsor Castle. This particular example, which somehow escaped from the Royal Collections, appears to correspond with the original order for claret or wine glasses.