Barger, E. and Wright, P., ‘Excavations in Swat and Explorations in the Oxus Territories of Afghanistan, a detailed report of the 1938 expedition’, Memoirs of the Archaeological Survey of India, vol. 64, Calcutta, 1941
Base of a statue, grey schist, 2nd century AD, Swat valley
Height: 0.22 m, Length: 0.19 m, Height: 0.125 m base
Acquired from Evert Barger, Lecturer in Medieval History at the University of Bristol and Philip Wright, V&A Museum, as part of the collection of finds excavated during their expedition to the Swat valley in 1938. This is No. 173 in Barger's lists
The carving consists of the base of a statue of which only two feet survive. The base is worked on its sides, which are no longer complete, with flame motifs. The front is carved with a representation of two monks venerating relics in a stupa(the left hand monk has lost his face). They are shown kneeling in three-quarter profile on either side of a stupa shrine with their hands together in the conventional anjali mudra position of adoration. The stupa in the centre rises from a square base to a domed harmika decorated with hanging lotus petals, above which there is an inverted pyramid supporting the chattravali of five parasols. This has a drapery either side fluttering from its apex which projects in front of the plinth on which the main statue stands.