Charles Truman, English Glassware to 1900 (1984) pl.25. Howard Coutts, 'London Cut Glass. The Work of John Blades and Messrs Jones', Antique Collecting, June 1987. Cherry & Richard Gray, 'The Prince's Glasses. Some Warrington Cut Glass 1806-1811', Journal of the Glass Ass. Vol.2, 1987.
This glass was probably one of the three dozen 'Goblets' included in the order for the Prince of Wales's glass service in 1806. It would normally be termed a 'rummer' (from the German for 'Roman'). Such large glasses, invented about 1780, became extremely popular in the Regency period. They were used for beer, cider, and perhaps mixed drinks.
In 1806 the Prince of Wales made a grand visit to Liverpool. This visit effectively endorsed that wealthy city's association with the contentious slave trade. In gratitude to the Prince, the Council ordered a huge suite of table glass for him from the local manufacturer Perrin, Geddes & Co. of Warrington. When it arrived, the Prince thanked them for 'the most beautiful and ornamental specimens he ever saw of this valuable manufacture'.
It seems probable that for such an extremely expensive service, which took over a year to make, other craftsmen may have been involved. The local glass-cutter John Unsworth, who styled himself 'Manufacturer to His Majesty and to His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales', may have been one.
During the Regency period, 'Prinnie' (Frederick, Prince of Wales) was the leader of fashion. The era was notable for its concentration on luxury materials and conspicuous consumption, including that of food and wine. The Prince presented a pair of these glass goblets to a favoured pastry cook, Julius Jacob Bohn of Pall Mall. Bohn's direct descendant gave them to the Museum in 1980.