Two lion-headed lugs for pots, terracotta, Sahri Bahlol, Gandhara, Pakistan, c.2nd century-1st century BC
Height: 5 cm IS.65-1951 only, Width: 5.7 cm IS.65-1951 only, Depth: 3 cm Maximum. IS.65-1951 only, Length: 2.56 in IS.65:A-1951, Width: 2.5 in IS.65:A-1951
Ceramics Study Galleries, Asia & Europe, room 137
From the collection of Colonel D.H. Gordon, D.S.O., O.B.E.
These objects date from a period of Greek influence in the area of Gandhara in nothern Pakistan. After the arrival of Alexander the Great of Macedonia (336-323BC), who crossed the Indus in 327BC, and a very brief period of Greek rule, the Hellenistic kingdom of Bactria to the north-west survived for a while and Greek kingdoms were established in Gandhara in the early 2nd-1st centuries BC. These influences were subseqently sustained by trade and cultural contacts with the Roman empire.
Two terracotta reliefs in the shape of lion's head. IS.65-1951 has a mane of circular shape going most of the way round its head and a protruding tongue. IS.65:A-1951 has a mane at the top of the head only, the mouth in a wide grimace and the tongue clearly visible but not protruding.