Vase, France (Paris), made probably by Appert Frères, Clichy, for Ernest-Baptiste Léveillé glass workshop and shop in Paris, 1889-1889, 76-1890 .
Height: 16.0 cm, Width: 16.0 cm maximum
Glass, room 131
Ernest-Baptiste Léveillé had a glass and ceramic-selling business at 74 Boulevard Haussmann, Paris. He was a member of the Paris 'art-glass' fraternity and a pupil (later partner) of Eugène Rousseau who owned a similar shop at 43 rue Coquillière. In 1885, Léveillé took over Rousseau's workshop, retaining Eugène Michel and Alphonse Georges Reyen as chief designers and decorators. This vase, shown at the international exhibition, Paris, 1889, is in mottled and splashed glass imitating agates, with the additional conceit of an applied and cut 'crystal' as though emerging naturally from the form.
'American and European Art and Design 1800-1900'
This vase was shown at the Paris 1889 Exhibition, and then purchased from Lèveillè who was a pupil and then partner Eugène Rousseau, the founder of the French art-glass movement. He used Rousseau's technique of crackled glass metallic oxides and gold leaf inclusions, to very similar effect. Here Lèveillè has indulged in the additional conceit of an applied and cut 'crystal' of glass, as though emerging naturally from the form. [1987-2006]