No Title

2006aw8824 jpg l

View the V&A API .json response

Acquired in 1883 (the spelunker thinks)

artist
Unknown
attributions_note
bibliography
Presented by Surgeon-Major F.A. Turton. There is an inscription on each face: one is a short dedicatory inscription in Brahmi characters of the Asoka type; the other consisting only of the word Vallabhasya, in medieval nagari characters. Starza, O.M. The Bodhgaya Pillar. London, Victoria and Albert Museum, 1974. ISBN 0 901486 84 1. 8p, ill. Barnett, L.D. J.R.A.S., 1915 Pt. I, p. 337. Codrington, K. de B. Ancient India, 1926, Pl. XIV. Coomaraswamy, A.K. 'La sculpture de Bodh Gaya', Ars Asiatica No. 18, 1935, Pl. XXXVII, and p. 58. Guy, John. Indian Temple Sculpture, London : V&A Publications, 2007. p.29. pl.26. ISBN 9781851775095
collection_code
SSEA
credit
Given by Surgeon-Maj. F. A. Turton
date_end
0100-12-31
date_start
date_text
1st century BC-1st century AD (made)
descriptive_line
Sandstone, Bodh Gaya, Bihar, Eastern India
dimensions
Height: 116 cm, Width: 37 cm
edition_number
event_text
exhibition_history
gallery
South-East Asia, room 47b
historical_context_note
Upper section of a pillar surrounding the early Tree shrine at Bodhgaya, which marked the site of the historic Buddha Sakyamuni's enlightenment. Upper roundels depict devotees worshipping the sacred Bodhi tree and a scene of a princely figure receiving a hunter with a bird on a pole, probably from the Hansa Jataka story, relating to the Buddha 's previous existence as a goose who offered his life for another. An inscription in Brahmi script records the pillar as 'the gift of the noble lady Kurangi'
historical_significance
history_note
id
25000
label
last_checked
2014-08-29T21:03:02.000Z
last_processed
2014-08-29T21:03:02.000Z
latitude
25.90313
location
South-East Asia, room 47b, case EXP
longitude
85.801071
marks
materials
materials_techniques
Sandstone
museum_number
IS.1065-1883
museum_number_token
is10651883
object_number
O25018
object_type
Pillar
on_display
1
original_currency
original_price
physical_description
place
Bihar
primary_image_id
2006AW8824
production_note
Bodh Gaya, Bihar, India
production_type
public_access_description
This pillar was found in Bodh Gaya, Bihar, in Eastern India, and dates from the early 1st century. It formed part of the original sandstone railing encircling the tree shrine at Bodh Gaya, marking the site of the Buddha's enlightenment. The surviving section represents the upper section of the pillar, and is decorated on two faces with roundels. The upper roundels depict devotees worshipping the sacred Bodhi tree and a scene of a princely figure receiving a hunter with a bird on a pole. This is probably a scene from the Hamsa Jataka story, which recounts the Buddha's previous existence as a goose who offered his life for another. A Brahmi inscription records the pillar as 'the gift of the noble lady Kurangi'.
related_museum_numbers
rights
3
shape
site_code
VA
slug
pillar-unknown
sys_updated
2014-08-07T00:00:00.000Z
techniques
title
updated
vanda_exhibition_history
year_end
100
year_start
-100