Bowl, Bohemia (Klostermühle), possibly designed by Max, Ritter von Spaun, at Johann Loetz Witwe, 1890-1900, 1305-1900 .
Height: 30.0 cm
Art Nouveau - 1890-1914 (Metropolitan Museum, Japan 21/04/2001-08/07/2001)
Art Nouveau - 1890-1914 (National Gallery of Art, Washington 08/10/2000-28/01/2001)
Art Nouveau - 1890-1914 (Victoria & Albert Museum 06/04/2000-30/07/2000)
Glass, room 131
This bowl was shown in the international exhibition, Paris, 1900, at which Lötz was awarded a Grand Prize. Lötz began producing iridescent glass, copying Tiffany, shortly after 1890. By 1900 they had evolved their own style and technique, imitating the lustrous effects seen on excavated glass or seashells. They developed and patented a method of fusing prefabricated glass rods onto a monochrome surface and then ornamented this by combing wavy patterns, marvering etc. The new range was given the name 'Phänomen' glass. Max, Ritter vo Spaun was responsible for the artistic output and for the introduction of the many different types of glass made by Lötz, of which Phänomen is just one. From around 1900 the company employed a number of designers including major names such as Joseph Hoffmann and Koloman Moser.